Queen’s Theatre, home to Victor Hugo’s
belongs to the majestic class of West End theatres and is located in the Shaftesbury Avenue, in the City of Westminster, London. The theatre opened on 8th October 1907 as a twin to the nearby Hicks Theatre and both the structures were designed by W.G.R. Sprague. At present it is a Grade II listed theatre by the English Heritage and can accommodate 1099 audiences at a time.
During the inauguration of the Queen’s Theatre London
, the then owners have planned to name it as the Central Theatre, but the thought was later abandoned following a long debate. The theatre was then given its current name and a portrait of Queen Alexandria was hanged on its foyer. An extensive refurbishment of the theatre was carried out in 2009 that resulted in improvement of the public area and enhanced the seating capacity.
The theatre is at present home to world’s longest running musical, Les Miserable. The musical is a stage adaptation of the eighteenth century novel written by Victor Hugo and has been an internationally acclaimed piece. It debuted at the Queen’s Theatre London
in 2004 following transfer from the Palace Theatre where it had enjoyed a run of eighteen remarkable years.